Fun Sober Activities
Finding your place in the sober community and making connections with supportive people are key to getting healthy and staying sober.
You may have dedicated a large amount of time to your substance use and are now unsure of how to live without alcohol, drugs, or tobacco. Staying busy with activities that bring you natural joy will help you develop strategies to cope with stressors on your path to recovery. To learn more about how and why you benefit from including sober activities into your lifestyle, click here.
The following list may have some ideas that appeal to you and inspire you to try something new, fun, and challenging. Many of these options are even more enjoyable when shared with your family or friends.
- Try a new exercise routine - Focusing on fitness is a great way to get healthy! Walking, running, swimming, lifting weights, bicycling, martial arts or a group exercise class are all fun ways to spend time and make yourself look and feel great. Facilities like the Shasta Family YMCA have affordable programs with financial assistance as needed, volunteer programs, childcare, swim lessons, weight lifting, and many exercise classes to choose from.
- Dance classes - Local classes offer styles such as ballroom dance, hip hop, ballet or barre. Zumba, hula dancing, and line dancing are offered through the City of Redding Recreation with more information here.
- Yoga - You can find yoga classes for free through the Shasta Community Health Center (SCHC). You can do yoga along with an online tutorial or find classes at many places in Shasta County. Sign up for the free yoga class or any of the other free classes at SCHC here.
- Join a sports team - Big League Dreams offers adult leagues from beginner to advanced in softball, volleyball, kickball, and hockey. Find out more league information at Big League Dreams here.
- Volunteer - Local pet shelters like the Haven Humane Society need volunteers to complete a variety of tasks involving the care of the animals. They even offer the Junior Haven program for kids from age 10-18 to make a difference in a shelter animal's life. Learn more about volunteering at the Haven Humane Society here.
- Join A Local Meeting Group - You can find groups in the Redding area that have similar interests or hobbies at Meetup.com.
- Healthy Shasta has numerous recreation opportunities listed on the its website. You can also find a walking page and a biking page, with local groups and times provided.
- Cooking - Shasta Community Health Center offers free classes to learn to cook and eat healthier. See the flyer and find out how to earn a $20 gift card for groceries or gas just for attending.
- Sewing or knitting - Hokema's in Redding offers a variety of sewing classes from kids to adults. Find out more on their Classes for You page. If you are interested in knitting or weaving, Ewe-Baa Street Yarns offers many classes for children and adults. You can learn the basics of knitting by watching this free video. They even show you how to knit with two pencils instead of knitting needles!
- Take a class - Whether you want to learn more about photography for fun or want to set a goal to reach a new career, there are a variety of classes in Shasta County to meet your needs. Online courses are a great option, if traveling to a class is not feasible. Shasta Community Health Center provides a variety of free Patient Education & Health Promotion classes, many of which you can earn a $20 gas or grocery gift card just for attending. Find the list of these classes here. Or visit the Shasta College Online Home page to find out more about the online courses that they offer.
- Find an outdoor adventure or activity - Visit the Get Outside and Explore page on the Visit Redding California website for a broad listing of outdoor activities found in the Redding area, including hiking, fishing, waterfalls, paddling, and "inspired family fun" listings.
- Read - Books can be a great way to immerse yourself in a new world. Digital versions are easy to take with you anywhere and can be read from your phone or tablet. Many classic books like Pride and Prejudice can be found in the digital form for free. You can get the free Nook App here. For the free Kindle App, click here.
- Disc golf - Enterprise Community Park in Redding has a disc golf course (played with frisbees) and is a fun game to play with friends or family. The park is located at 4300 Victor Ave, Redding, CA 96002.
- Board games - Playing board games with your family or friends can provide time for conversation while you are having fun. Even puzzles can provide hours of fun family time spend together while focusing on a shared task. Check out "Top 12 Best Family Board Games – MOM’s choice" article for some ideas about what one mom thinks are great games to play with your family.
- Learn to play an instrument - Have you always wanted to learn to play guitar? The flute? The drums? Local classes can be found at music stores listed on the linked page or Shasta College music department page. You can even watch tutorials for free on Youtube.
- Learn a new language - Even if you just want to learn a few phrases or more about a different culture, you can find local classes, online tutorials, or language instruction on CD's at the local library. Redding Language Exchange offers the chance to learn a foreign language from someone who would like to learn more English in exchange. Shasta College offers language classes, see more info here. The website Duolingo offers free, online interactive language classes with a variety of languages to choose from. Another fun, free website and app where you can learn a language is LanguageZen.
- Meditation - This relaxation technique is easy, free, and effective. You can find free guided meditations online at the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center here.
- Adult fitness classes - City of Redding Recreation offers different fitness classes every season such as martial arts and yoga, more information here.
- Find more things to do - Visit the Family Friendly or Pet Friendly Things To Do pages on the Visit Redding California website for a comprehensive list of activities in the area.
Find free support groups, cooking classes, gardening classes, and activities for the whole family at the Manter House in Anderson. See the weekly schedule on their home page. Located at 1683 Manter Drive, Anderson, CA 96007.